Health 2006

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Exposure to secondhand smoke


I blogged on this issue because secondhand smoke really annoys me. Imagine you are walking down the street and person ahead of you smokes, therefore ashes from the cigarette reside on your clothes and smoke in your lungs...

U.S. Surgeon General Richard H. Carmona on June 27 issued a comprehensive
scientific report which concludes that there is no risk-free level of
exposure to secondhand smoke. Nonsmokers exposed to secondhand smoke at
home or work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25 to 30
percent and lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent. The finding is of major
public health concern due to the fact that nearly half of all nonsmoking
Americans are still regularly exposed to secondhand smoke.

The report, The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco
Smoke
, finds that even brief secondhand smoke exposure can cause
immediate harm. The report says the only way to protect nonsmokers from
the dangerous chemicals in secondhand smoke is to eliminate smoking
indoors.

Secondhand smoke contains more than 50 cancer-causing chemicals, and is
itself a known human carcinogen. Nonsmokers who are exposed to
secondhand smoke inhale many of the same toxins as smokers. Even brief
exposure to secondhand smoke has immediate adverse effects on the
cardiovascular system and increases risk for heart disease and lung
cancer, the report says. In addition, the report notes that because the
bodies of infants and children are still developing, they are especially
vulnerable to the poisons in secondhand smoke.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger maryblogg said…

    I agree. Anytime I see someone smoking, especially on my way to work on Wall Street, I cover my nose or hold my breath. That goes for anyone sneezing, coughing, or yawning around me without covering their mouth/nose.

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Jessie Daniels said…

    HA ~ ! Me too. Especially with this asthma, second-hand smoke really annoys me.

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Liudmila said…

    Cool, I have some support from this class. I think we should cut secondhand smoke as much as possible. Smokers will be very unhappy with my posting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home